Thursday, January 27, 2011

Da Blues

I don't know if it's the lack of sunshine, the overwhelming amount of work, my so-far unsuccessful summer job hunt, being in the Midwest, or what but I've been feeling a little down in the dumpster lately (it probably helps that my apartment faces a dumpster). In the past, three things have helped me get out of funks: food*, new music, and writing. Food is hard to come by here in the wilderness of south Hyde Park, but I bought some ice cream yesterday so I'm hoping that helps. I'm also in the process of buying new music and welcome suggestions**.

This brings me to writing. I certainly can't say I miss writing, but all the writing I do these days is analytical and I feel like I'm neglecting one side of my brain. In fact, I think all three of my funk-evading solutions are creative pursuits. So I've decided to add one more thing to infinite list of to-dos for the remaining month of January and for at least part of February. I'm going to try to produce one short story per week. I'm not setting a length requirement, but each new story must have a story arc and at least one good*** character. I'm not setting a requirement for "good" either.

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to accomplish this ridiculous goal, but I'm already feeling a little uplifted at its prospect. This is one endeavor that won't be graded on a curve.


*I'm including beverages in this category.
**Uplifting music preferable. 
***Good in the sense of realism, not morality.

2 comments:

Allie said...

Poooooost them! If you feel like it, that is.

Also, I'm sorry you are down in the dumpster. THE SOLUTION IS MORE ICE CREAM.

Anonymous said...

Yay, it's letting me post a comment.

New music (and some of this may be old because I don't remember where we left off on our music exchange):

Florence and the Machine
Stars (Canadian band)
Amy Millan
Mumford & Sons
Lykke Li
Wildbirds & Peacedrums (this one is weird...)

etc.