Thursday, February 3, 2011

It's been a week

Last Thursday I said I'd write one short story per week until mid-February. So it's been a week and I didn't really write anything, so I thought I'd show you what I do when I can't think of anything to write. It's sort of a post-modernist meta-story...yeah, that's what it is.

Enjoy!

SD* trudged through the snow because she liked the way it felt under her boots. It felt like sand. She also liked the sound it made. Crunch. She walked through the snow even though the sidewalks were clear. Stomping parallel to everyone else, sometimes she saw them glance at her briefly before passing. She took her time because she had nowhere to go.

No, maybe I'll go farther away. I want to go somewhere else, somewhere where it is calm all around, where stimuli are hard to come by. A garden with a lake, where I can describe things**.

Maybe SD is trudging but there are none to see her trudge. She is alone in a garden in a city. That city could be Tokyo. Maybe there are cats. Where do they go in the winter?

When SD first came to this park, it was covered in cats. The cat were not doing anything special. Cats lounge very well***. It was a warm day and the cat lay in the shelter of shade. She joined them and they gave her little more than a stare and a whisker spasm.

What if I wrote about Timbuktu. A woman who used to have a bustling life in Timbuktu****.



Now I shall distract you with pictures of snow.


*The vast majority of the time I spent writing this "story" went to deciding the main character's initials. I thought about "MD" but those are the initials of a doctor. "MS" is a debilitating disease and a master of science degree. "PS" means post script...
**Note that I wrote this and then went on to talk about cats. 
***Indeed.
****Maybe I have ADD?

3 comments:

Allie said...

SD makes me think of San Diego.

Elizabeth said...

From the limited post-modern theory I've read, maybe you want to make the initials something recognizable. Even BS. Just kidding.

How about PM for post-modern, making it even more meta?

Sonali said...

Ha! Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind next time.