Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Resolution





I haven't written here in a while and I've missed it, so in an attempt to get me writing more, I decided to take up the 365 photo challenge. I'll take and upload a photo each day for the next year, and hopefully that'll give me fodder for a quick blog post each day. This is a picture of my luggage after I returned to Chicago today. As I spent the last two weeks in Northern California, I realized how, each time I go back, I feel more and more like a visitor. It has been over two years since I lived there, and much has changed since then. I no longer know the streets and highways as I once did, a fact that throws me off balance when I drive around, and yet I am far more observant now. The diversity of the area, in the people, the geography, the languages spoken, and the restaurants and shops is practically unmatched by other cities I've been to.

I discovered Korea town in Santa Clara. Among dozens of Korean restaurants, there was a Korean shopping mall, which had shops, cafes, and bakeries that I'd only seen before in Seoul. I ate at a Paris Baguette and perused the products of The Face Shop. I ate at a restaurant where every other person in it was Korean and the walls were covered in signs written entirely in Korean. It felt oddly comforting.

No comments: