Tuesday, July 21, 2009

How to Run for lazy people


1. Ipod. Get one.

2. Don't think in terms of miles. I find a mile to be a daunting distance, so instead I listen to music while I run and think in terms of songs. How long can I run without stopping? One song? Two? If I can run three songs without stopping, I've run approximately one mile (3 minutes/song-->9 minute mile).

3. Run when you really don't want to. That way, when you do want to it will be even more fun.

4. Buy a new CD and then don't let yourself listen to it until you go running.

5. If you're having a hard time setting a pace, find someone else who's running and run behind them, using them as a pacesetter. (Helpful hint: don't run too close or they might get creeped out). Try to stay a certain number of seconds behind them, or if they're running too fast, try to keep them in your line of sight. If they slow down or stop, run past them and keep running as long as you can, while telling yourself that you just beat them in the marathon. Or something like that.

6. Don't worry if you're slow or can't run far, I can't either. As my old track coach used to say, "As long as you're out there..."

No comments: