Sunday, April 13, 2008

There once was a girl in Bordeaux...

A few limericks I found while going through my old French notebooks. My friends Rachel, Becca and I went on a trip to Ireland, and since we were planning to make a quick stop in Limerick, we all decided to write down some limericks of our own to recite when we got there. We never made it to Limerick, but we were quite successful at creating beautiful, romantic Irish poetry. These were all written during class:

In Ireland I'll look for a redhead.
One who's cute, tall and well-fed.
I can explain no tale
For why I like them so pale,
But with one I'd quickly to bed.

Rachel really has to pee.
I'm kind of glad it isn't me.
She's hoping to take,
A five minute break
But she's not gonna get one, tee-hee.

It's time to go home today.
After all, it's Valentine's Day.
I've got nothing to wear
And I have too much hair.
But I have no date, it's OK.

Limericks are really great fun.
Without them, from lectures I'd run.
They're something to do
And when I'm all through
The boring professor is done.

There once were three girls in Nice.
(The flights were 1 centime a piece.)
In Dublin they'd drank
And now they were tanked,
They could sleep for 3 days at least.

I once had a puffy jacket
It made quite a racket.
At least it was warm
And hid my form
It'd been worse had I lacked it.

Ronsard est un poète etrange (Ronsard is a strange poet)
En fait il me dérange (Actually he bothers me)
Il aime Hélène (He loves Helen)
Elle semble putaine (She seems like a bitch)
Dans l'amour il faut qu'il change. (He needs to change with respect to love.)

They say that it's currently spring,
And yet rain is all that it brings.
I hate this day.
I'll run away.
And leave behind all of my things.

I feel really quite nauseous.
I should be rather cautious
Of not throwing up
All over my stuff
While of my classmates watches.

In class we're writing scenarios,
The purpose of which no one knows.
They're reading aloud.
The prof is not wowed.
But that seems to be how it goes.

I'm wearing bright colors today,
The French people say "pourquoi fait?"
The sun's at my back,
I'm tired of black,
And I just feel like it, OK?

I'm sitting in scenario class,
I'm hoping these four hours will pass.
I can't understand
The topic at hand,
I want to be in Ireland at last!

Wow, some of those are real gems ("I once had a puffy jacket" is one I'm particularly proud of.) I'm so glad I spent class time writing them instead of doing something else like taking notes or paying attention.

No comments: